Mental Capacity Act & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (LPS)Download PDF
To provide learners with the necessary knowledge and understanding of the MCA, DOLS and how it is authorised. The DOLS came into effect to protect people who may lack the capacity to make decisions. Learners will also gain an understanding of how this relates to the Human Rights Act and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.
This course is designed to inform learners of what they must take into consideration when decisions need to be made and what help they can get in such a situation.
- Explain what the safeguards are and to whom the apply
- Professionals duties under the MCA
- Discuss the application of MCA and the 5 principles
- Identify other relating key legislation
- Explain the role of the Court of Protection
- Advanced statements and decisions
- Discuss the authorisation process
- How to help people make their own decisions
- Determine the roles of the IMCA, LPA, and EPA
- Explain unlawful deprivation of liberty
MCA & DOLS training is vital for anyone working with individuals that may lack capacity. Since the introduction of the safeguards in 2009, training staff in this subject has become a high priority for managers and an area of focus for external regulators.